Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Day We All Dread

As I began getting older I often thought of people who had their children take away their car keys, or when applying for a new driver's license being told they could not pass and would not be able to drive.

Yesterday I told my son I was going to stop driving.  He was amazed and said he was so glad I decided to do this on my own ans he dreaded the day when he might have to tell me he wanted my car keys.

I am rather surprised that I actually did it.  I hate giving up my freedom.  I didn't realize how often I hopped in my car and went to the grocery store, the many different Doctors I see, the book stores, the hair dresser, church, book club, dates for lunch etc.  All this will now depend on someone taking me.  I do not like to depend on other people, even my son.  I hate to take up their time.

Perhaps you wonder why I would give up such freedom.  I am still a good driver and I have pretty good reflexes.  But I have two health problems that scare me. 

I am diabetic and I have numb feet.  When I am driving I can't tell if I am hitting the gas or the break.  This is scarry.  Two, I have macular problems in both eyes and when I drive I am not sure where the sides of the lane are.  This too is very scarry.  This Is why I won't endanger myself or anyone else on the road.  Hard to accept, but easy to do.

I guess the reason I am telling you this is that I hope you are aware of your ablilty to drive and that you won't insist on driving when you know you should quit.

I have immediately planned things that will keep me home and still do most of the things I have always done.  Yesterday I had my son take me on a few stops.  First, I bought a Nook.  I really didn't want one as I prefer to use books.  However, my house is overrun with books and I really don't need anymore.  In addition, I can now order my books on the nook, they cost a lot less and I won't have to leave the house.
Then we went grocery shopping.  I bought more than I usually do so I could have a small stock[pile.  He will still take me to the store, but if he couldn't I caould still have the store deliver them for a small fee.

As for church, I am sure there are any number of people that would be glad to take me.  I just hate to ask.

And for the first time, I asked someone to pick me up.  My friend Darcie and I were planning on going to lunch tomorrow and I told her she would need to pick me up.  You have no idea how difficult thet was for me.  I don't mind doing things for people, but I hate to ask people to do things for me.  Guess when you get old you just have to accept the fact and continue loving the life God has given you.

Just think, if I get rid of my car, I will have a whole guarge  to store stuff in.  See, there is a silver lining to every cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment